Southern Cape Forest Trees
TO THE WAYFARER…
Ye who pass by and would raise your hand against me, hearken ere you harm me,
I am the heat of our hearth on the cold winter nights, the friendly shade screening you from the summer sun,
and my fruits are refreshing draughts quenching your thirst as you journey on.
I am the beam that holds your house, the board of your table, the bed on which you lie,
and the timber that builds your boat.
I am the handle of your hoe, the door of your homestead, the wood of your cradle, and the shell of your coffin.
I am the bread of kindness and the flower of beauty. Ye who pass by, listen to my prayer: harm me not.
Click on the links below to read further on our trees …
- Blackwood – Acacia melanoxylon
- Candlewood – Pterocelastrus tricuspidatus
- Cape Beech – Rapanea melanophloeos
- Cape Holly – Ilex mitis
- Hard Pear – Olinea ventosa
- Ironwood – Olea capensis
- Karri Gum – Eucalyptus diversicolor
- Outeniqua Yellowwood – Podocarpus falcatus
- Real Yellowwood – Podocarpus latifolius
- Red Alder – Cunonia capensis
- SA Pine – Pinus spp
- Saligna Gum – Eucalyptus grandis
- Stinkwood – Ocotea bullata
- White Alder – Platylophus trifoliatus
- White Pear – Apoldytes dimidiata